Doctor killed

A Rwandan doctor was found dead in his flat last week in what has been a busy few days for the Sea Point police.

Spokesperson for the Sea Point SAPS, Captain Elizabeth Munro said police were called out to Bantry Place, Beach Road, after tenants complained about a bad smell.

“On arrival at the mentioned address, police established that the smell was coming from a flat that was locked,” said Captain Munro.

“The caretaker opened the flat and the lifeless body of a 40-year-old foreign national, named Raymond Dusabe, was found.”

She said that an autopsy would be done to establish cause of death.

Later that day, Monday January 8, police followed up on information which led to the arrest of a 29-year-old man from the DRC. He made his first court appearance last week where he was charged with murder.

The King Faisal Hospital in Kigali posted their condolences on Twitter, “King Faisal Hospital is saddened to announce the death of Dr Raymond Dusabe. The administration wishes to express its most sincere sympathies to his family during this difficult time. His work here will not soon be forgotten. He will be greatly missed. May he rest in peace,” they wrote.

According to the website of Stellenbosch University, where he had studied, Dr Dusabe became Rwanda’s first-ever gynaecological oncologist.

Also on January 8, police were called to a shooting incident between a homeless man and a security guard. The incident took place in Kloof Road, Sea Point, around 10.50pm.

Captain Munro said: “An argument occurred between the security guard and the vagrant. They got physical, whereupon the homeless person was shot. The 61-year-old male was admitted to Groote Schuur hospital, and is in a stable condition.”

She added that the security guard, a 40-year-old man from Strandfontein, had been arrested and a case of attempted murder opened.

Meanwhile, on Wednesday January 10, while patrolling on Beach Road, in Sea Point, police made a grim discovery of a dead body.

“A passer-by informed them of a lifeless body behind the aquarium in Beach Road, Sea Point,” said Captain Munro. “The police found the decomposed body of an unknown male about 50-years-old. It was later discovered that the deceased was a Zimbabwean, and had been living on the streets of Sea Point for about 12 years.”

The body was transported to Salt River mortuary, where an autopsy will be performed.

Previous articleMatrics on cloud nine
Next articleFirst day