Fire destroys home

The public are urged to donate necessities to fire victims in Bo-Kaap.

Two men and three women were treated for smoke inhalation after a flat on the third floor of a building in Astana Street, Schotschekloof, in Bo-Kaap, caught alight on Sunday, January 6.

All five were transported to hospital after they were treated on the scene by medics.

Three fire engines, one rescue vehicle and a hydraulic platform with 19 firefighters were dispatched to the scene.

The family of six have lost everything and is currently scattered with some living with relatives and others with close friends.

According to a resident and a close family friend, Faa-iekah Ryland, the cause of the fire was an electrical fault. The fire has claimed not only their home but every possession including school uniforms.

The public can help the family get back on their feet by donating items such as clothing, stationery, furniture, electrical appliances, beds and bedding, crockery and cutlery.

Cash donations are also welcome. The family’s drop-off points are 16 Van der Meulen Street or 85 Dorp Street, Bo-Kaap. For more information, call Faa-iekah Ryland on 084 402 6279.