Murder rocks Higgovale

A murder took place in Trek Road in Higgovale last week.

The City Bowl community is in shock after the murder of Higgovale resident Eric Wiese.

The 81-year-old former chief financial officer of Naspers was found dead at his Trek Road home after an apparent robbery last Friday, August 4, around noon.

Captain FC Van Wyk, spokesperson for Western Cape SAPS, said no arrests have been made. “It is suspected that the victim was stabbed to death during a house robbery,” he said.

Nicola Jowell, chairperson of the Cape Town Central Community Police Forum, said the circumstances around the murder were worrying.

“In all my time serving on the executive, I’ve never heard of a murder like this that seems to be a robbery gone wrong.”

She added that murders were very low in the precinct and most of the time it was either a dispute or victims knew each other.

“I’ve always been able to say that we don’t get this type of crime in the City Bowl. It feels like a line has been crossed.”

She said it appears that two suspects had come into the area on foot and surprised Mr Wiese in his garden. He was then taken into his house where he was killed.

Ms Jowell said footage from the Licence Plate Recognition cameras as well as neighbours’ CCTV footage will be used for the investigation.

“He was such a nice person,” said Ms Jowell.

She added that he was always involved in volunteer work in the community.

She said it appeared that some items had been taken from the house. However, the safe remained locked.

Cyril Jilander, operations manager at City Bowl Armed Response, said the incident was an unusual one for the area. “I’ve been here for seven years and never seen this.”

He advised residents to be vigilant and to keep safe.

Mr Wiese had served as treasurer on the City Bowl Residents’ and Ratepayers’ Association for many years and has been described as a kind and generous person who was always involved in the community.

Barry Smith, former chairperson of the City Bowl Residents’ and Ratepayers’ Association, said Mr Wiese was a good man.

“He was one of the nicest and most generous people that I’ve ever met. He was always so prompt. He was always helping with the community, that is why this is so sad. He was modest I would never have known that he had such an important position in the company.”

Mr Smith said that he was still coming to terms with the murder and was concerned about how the murder had taken place.

A further query was sent to provincial police about how long it took for police to get to the scene of the crime. But they had not responded by the time of going to print.