Search continues for man swept out to sea at Camps Bay

NSRI rescue at Camps Bay

Police are still searching for a man who was swept out to sea by rip currents at Camps Bay beach last week.

The police dive unit was dispatched to search for the 23-year-old Gauteng man last Thursday, September 9, but by Tuesday afternoon, he had not yet been found.

“NSRI Bakoven and the City of Cape Town (CoCT) water rescue network were activated at 1.05pm, Thursday September 9, following eye-witness reports of a drowning in progress between Camps Bay Beach and Glen Beach,” said Luke van Riet, NSRI Bakoven station commander.

NSRI Bakoven and NSRI Table Bay rescue swimmers, CoCT Law Enforcement, the SA Police Services, Cape Town Fire and Rescue Services, WC Government Health EMS, Netcare 911 ambulance services and Life Healthcare Response paramedics also responded to the scene.

The NSRI Bakoven sea rescue craft Gemini Legend and the EMS/AMS Skymed rescue helicopter conducted a sea and air search.

A local unidentified surfer had reportedly tried to reach the man before he disappeared under water.

Despite extensive search efforts there remains no sign of the missing man and late on Tuesday, NSRI spokesperson Craig Lambinon said the police dive unit was continuing with the search operation.