Second occupier killed

Ayanda Denge has been fatally stabbed at the Ahmed Kathrada House.

One year and five days after the death of Ahmed Kathrada House leader, Zamuxolo Patrick “Rasta” Dolophini, another newly elected house leader in the very same building, Ayanda Denge, has been fatally stabbed.

Ahmed Kathrada House is one of the buildings occupied by the members of Reclaim the City in Green Point.

The building used to house nurses who worked at the old Somerset Hospital but it was left empty and Reclaim the City members reclaimed it and renamed it Ahmed Kathrada House in April 2017.

According to Reclaim the City, Ms Denge was fatally stabbed in her home in the building on Sunday, March 24.

House leader, Mona Asher, said they do not know about the events that led to this most tragic ending to their comrade’s life and were waiting for the forensic investigation before releasing a full statement on the matter.

Reclaim the City said Ms Denge believed in the cause for affordable and social housing for poor and working-class people.

They stated: “Ayanda will be remembered for her resilience, commitment to woman empowerment and lending her voice to the most vulnerable. We all looked forward to Ayanda leading the first Reclaim the City woman’s meeting at Ahmed Kathrada House. We will forever miss her fighting spirit.”

The death of Ms Denge comes a year after the death of Mr Dolphini who was also an occupier in this building. He was also fatally stabbed and a security guard believed to be employed by a company contracted by the provincial government to watch over Ahmed Kathrada House was arrested and released on bail.

Mr Dolphini had apparently tried to make his way to the Somerset Hospital just over 200 metres down the road but his injuries proved fatal as he lost excessive amounts of blood.

On Human Rights Day, last year, occupiers marched from Keizersgracht Street to the Cape Town Civic Centre calling for affordable housing within the city centre. This was an especially emotional event for members as they mourned Rasta’s death (“Sad note to protest,” Atlantic Sun, March 29, 2018).

The Sea Point police have confirmed the murder and said the investigation at a its sensitive stage. Spokesperson, Captain Elizabeth Munro, said they were called to the murder scene just before 8pm on Sunday.

“On arrival, the police tried to enter the room of the victim, later identified as Ayanda Denge, about 37-years-old, from Gugulethu, as they could not gain access. Police then discovered the naked body of the deceased, laying in a pool of blood with a cut wound to her neck,” she said.

A murder case was opened and is being investigated by Detective Warrant Officer Morne Olivier from Sea Point police. Anyone with information can contact Detective Warrant Officer Olivier on 079 894 0096.