Sea Point residents marched on the promenade on Saturday to draw attention to the attacks on women.
This week marks the start of the 16 Days of Activism for No Violence on Women and Children, which runs annually from November 25 to December 10.
The organiser, Paul Jacobson, said they planned to march every month. “We just had over 150 people and it was a success. We had media attention and this is reaching the City of Cape Town, so it created awareness,” he told Atlantic Sun.
“I was hoping that there would be more people as there’s so many residents on the seaboard and we are all affected, we need to be united. I’m happy that residents of District six joined us as well and there is talks that this could happen once a month,” he said.
Ward 54 councillor Nicola Jowell said they were aware that attacks on women had increased since October.
“It is imperative that cases are reported to SAPS and that we continue to engage with SAPS on tackling these crimes. There have been a couple of good arrests over this period but the incidents continue,” Ms Jowell said, adding that Law Enforcement had significantly increased its deployment in the area.
“Although their legislated mandate is by-law enforcement, they are working hard at addressing the criminal activity and have been involved in a number of the arrests and prevention activity,” Ms Jowell said.
Sea Point police spokesman Captain Cyril Dicks confirmed that they had been present at the march.
However, he added: “The Sea Point SAPS does not support any individual or organisation that has applied for any protest action. However SAPS must be in attendance due to policing the safety of protesters and other community persons in and around the march.”