The deadline to appeal the proposed 18-storey development in Sea Point closed last Monday, May 20.
The Berman Brothers Group applied to the City of Cape Town’s Municipal Planning Tribunal (MPT) to develop a 60m tall residential building at the intersection of Main and Kloof roads.
Sea Point residents objected to this application in October last year, stating that the proposed development would not fit in with the character of the area and its size would add to traffic congestion.
They said such a development in the area would pave the way for further developments of this nature.
In March this year, the MPT approved the proposed development.
They added that inclusionary housing be part of the development and proposed the inclusion of one-bedroom units targeting households earning
R20 000 a month.
While residents were not happy with the decision, non-profit housing organisations Ndifuna Ukwazi and Reclaim the City described the move as a victory.
The ratepayers’ planning committee said inclusionary housing can and should be accommodated within the existing urban development and planning frameworks and looks forward to supporting the City’s efforts in this regard once a proper and well-considered inclusionary housing strategy and policy are in place.
Ndifuna Ukwazi have also filed an appeal which they based on two aspects: affordability and fair contribution.
They stated that the condition that proposes the inclusion of one-bedroom units targeting households earning R20 000 a month was not affordable and did not match up to working class incomes.
The City’s media manager, Luthando Tyhalibongo, said the appeals that were received during the 21-day period are being collated.
“These will be forwarded to the various parties for comment. Once comments have been received a report will be drafted and sent to the Appeal Authority for a decision. The City’s Executive Mayor is the final appeal authority in planning matters as determined by the Municipal Planning By-law,” he said.