Two arrested for robbery after car chase

Cape Town Central police arrested two men for robbery on Sunday June 16 following a high speed car chase.

The incident occurred on the corner of Bree and Mechau streets, while police were patrolling in an unmarked vehicle.

Cape Town Central police spokesperson Captain Ezra October said the officers saw two people fighting and noticed one man, wearing a blue hoodie and blue jeans, grab something from the other man’s hand and run towards a blue Toyota, with the registration number CA 810 766.

He jumped inside the car and the driver of the car sped off towards Strand Street.

“Police immediately pursued in a high speed chase and arrested the suspects with the assistance of officers in a marked police vehicle.

“The suspects were detained at Cape Town Central police cells. The cellphone was recovered and handed in to SAPS Exhibit store for safe-keeping.”

Also on Sunday June 16, a woman was arrested in Strand Street for assaulting a law enforcement officer working at the Cape Town Railway Station.

Captain October said the woman allegedly refused to be searched, and spat in the officer’s face before smacking the officer.

The woman was arrested and detained at Cape Town Central police station.

On the same day, in Marion Road, Cape Town Central police arrested a woman for attempted robbery with a weapon.

It was alleged that the complainant was running alone towards the city centre when he was approached by a man dressed in a black jacket with a short moustache.

The man pointed a knife at the complainant and wanted to attack him. The complainant managed to run away, but noticed the man climbing into a Mini Cooper and the vehicle drove away.

The woman driving the Mini Cooper was later arrested by Woodstock crime prevention officers. She was detained at Cape Town Central police station.

Police arrested a 39-year-old man for theft of a Huawei cellphone at Wonderland Bar in Albertus Street on Saturday June 15. It is alleged that the suspect took the phone from a man’s trouser pocket.

Captain October said the police were contacted and they arrested the man.

Also on Saturday June 15, in De Waterkant, a man was arrested for theft.

The complainant was on his cellphone requesting an Uber while with his mom, when he was approached by a man who admired his shoes and touched them.

When the Uber arrived, they drove to the hotel. It was there that the complainant discovered that he had been pick-pocketed and went back with another Uber vehicle.

He saw the same suspect and with the assistance of a traffic officer, apprehended the suspect and handed him over to Cape Town Central police.

The cellphone was recovered.

A man was arrested opposite the Shell Garage, in Orange Street, for robbery on Friday June 14.

Thecomplainantwas approached by two men getting out of a taxi.

Captain October said one of the men asked the complainant for an address, while the second man grabbed his cellphone and threw it towards the taxi.

“The taxi driver drove off
but the complainant managed to grab the man who asked for the address.

He screamed for help and police who were patrolling in Orange Street arrested the suspect and detained him at Cape Town Central police station.”

A man and a woman were arrested for theft of money and a cellphone at the long distance bus area in Old Marine Drive on Monday June 10.

The two were caught by security officials employed at the transportation hub and handed over to a Rapid Rail police officer.

On Monday June 10, a security guard employed at a business in Chiappini Street was arrested for malicious damage to property, theft and trespassing.

Captain October said after viewing video footage, it was found that the security guard allegedly damaged the property and stole office equipment.

Police were contacted and the security guard was arrested.

On Sunday June 9, a man was arrested in Long Street for stealing a cellphone.

He was held by CCID guards and was detained at Cape Town Central Police.

Another man was arrested for robbery on the corner of Burg and Hout streets on Saturday June 8 after he allegedly grabbed a woman’s cellphone out of her jacket pocket and ran away.

Captain October said the woman flagged down police patrolling in the area who gave chase, arrested the man and returned her cellphone.