Picture: Fuad Esack
As Cape Town is busy with preparations to host the 2023 netball world cup, and the fact that she is a board member of the International Netball Federation (INF), Molokwane is required to constantly travel around the world.
And, in a statement released last week, she said she found out on Tuesday March 24 about her results.
“I would like to take this moment to alert the general public that I am currently in quarantine and taking all the necessary precautions to make sure I recover fully from the virus. I am not showing any symptoms, however, I will still take precautions to protect everyone around me and myself.”
In light of this, Atlantic Sun spoke to Igshaan Brenner, Cape Town Netball Federation Public Representative Officer (PRO), who made it clear that they take the threat posed by the virus seriously.
He also noted that, despite the fact that the youngsters were disappointed by the lack of action, everyone was aware that safety comes first.
“Netball is a competitive sport and everyone is emotionally affected but, having said that, we understand the seriousness of the situation. There players understand that sport cannot continue under the circumstances,” he said.
“And, to make things even worse, we just heard news that the netball head had tested positive. As the netball fraternity we are very shocked by the president’s health but, having said that, we are happy to hear that she is in good spirits. So, our standing is that if the situation dictates that netball stops for the remainder of the year, it should,” he said.
Brenner also urged parents to encourage their children to train at home, as it is not clear at the moment how long the threat from the virus would continue for.
He also noted that the postponement of matches came at a tricky time for Cape Town’s netball fraternity. This meant that the city is, in many ways, going to be hit the hardest. This, he said, was because the region was preparing to host some of the major netball events, in the next few months.
“The Western Cape Championships, which were meant to take place in Langebaan, in the West Coast, in May, have been cancelled. Stellenbosch was also expected to host the national championships in June. That event was also cancelled,” he said.
“The cancellation of those events have demoralised the players because 2020, for them, was meant to be a stepping stone for 2023. That’s the year when Cape Town will be hosting the world cup.”