A 20-year-old man was shot dead on the corner of Chiappini and Shortmarket streets in Bo-Kaap on Sunday night.
Allie Vollenhoven, was declared at the scene while another unknown man was injured and taken to hospital.
According to the Cape Argus Mr Vollenhoven grew up in Bo-Kaap, where his family still lives, but had moved to Mitchell’s Plain. He attended Schotsche Kloof Primary School and Vista High School.
Sergeant Wesley Twigg said a case of murder case had been opened at Cape Town central police station and the motive for the attack is unknown.
“The circumstances surrounding a shooting incident Sunday evening on the corner of Chiappini and Shortmarket Streets, Bo-Kaap, Cape Town, where a 20 year old male was shot and fatally wounded are under investigation,” said Sergeant Twigg.
“Cape Town Central police responded to a shooting in progress and on arrival on the scene found the victim lying in the street. The victim sustained a gunshot wound to his neck and was declared deceased on the scene by paramedics.”
He added that the unknown suspect(s) fled the scene and that no arrests had yet been made.
In response to a query by the Atlantic Sun, SAPS would not be drawn on whether the shooting was gang-related.
However, residents of the Bo-Kaap, who spoke to Atlantic Sun on condition of anonymity believe the shooting was linked to gang activity.
“About two weeks ago there was shooting and on the Saturday night as well, I think there will be revenge again,” a resident said.
Another resident said that there had been a shooting two weeks earlier as well. “We heard the shooting about two weeks ago. We are not sure who is responsible for this but it seems it could be rival gangs,” he said.
Bo-Kaap Neighbourhood Watch chairman, Ebrahiem Christians, said when he arrived at the scene, law enforcement officers were already there.
“I was called about the gun shots and, in fact, I could hear it. When I got to the scene there were officers there so the response was quick. We have no idea who did this and the residents are sad and afraid. It’s a worrying situation,” Mr Christians said.
He added that the neighbourhood watch met with SAPS on Monday night and that the investigation was continuing.
Ward 77 councillor Francine Higham said the City would assist SAPS in their efforts to catch those responsible.
“The shooting that took place has left many residents understandably shocked and upset. Thank you to SAPS, Metro Police and Law Enforcement for their quick response to the incident. The City is committed to assisting SAPS in their investigations and we hope that arrests will be made quickly,” Ms Higham said.